Saturday, October 3, 2009

In memory of Robert Greendale.

I remember during Freshman year having to do 10 gesture drawings for homework. I had no idea what this "gesture" thing really was. I thought, at the time, it was just a "sketchy" version of what was in front of me. While right in some ways, the point was I still lacked the knowledge of it's true importance, and proceed to draw what I thought it to bet: a sketchy version of what was in front of me.

I got a B- on the assignment...

I know a little better now... Gesture is the foundation for not just all fine art, but all visually appealing abstract shapes.





(TOP IMAGE credit to THEMROCK - http://themrock.deviantart.com)
(MIDDLE IMAGE by KANDINSKY)

Realistic of not, all of these are built upon visually appealing abstract shapes. Despite being a realist myself (generally), if an image or structure is composed of bland, uninteresting shapes, it'll be a boring image though matter how well it's rendered. I never fully understood gesture until my senior year, and since fully grasping it I feel as if my whole education in the visual arts has come full circle. While I understand it fully, though, mastering it is a never ending process. However, it has helped tremendously with my abilities to draw from my head, and I think gesture is the single most important factor to consider when making up stuff from your imagination.

And beyond the visual arts, "gesture-like" aspects in good music and writing can be observed if you look at it the right way. All expressions of creativity share many many similarities... funny how that works.

I know this has been repeated a million times, but I still like typing up this type of stuff because it helps me reflect upon my own knowledge of a certain subject matter... and who knows, maybe somebody will even someting! I need a beer right now.

No comments: